Academy Ball will be held on Friday, April 13 due to the impending weather.
Due to the change, the water park will not be available, and the times and structure of the event are listed below:
- 7-7:30 p.m. - Check-In & Bag Check at same entrance
- 7 p.m. - Buffet begins
- 8 p.m.-12 a.m. - Dance
- 11 p.m. - Pizza served
- 12 a.m. - Conclusion of event
As parents, you are often challenged with difficult decisions to make in regard to your children. Many times, you may not like all of the options presented to you. Likewise, as faculty, staff, and administrators, we too are often tasked with making difficult decisions. As we approach the Academy Ball on Saturday, we were forced to consider the very real possibility that the Academy Ball would have to be cancelled due to safety concerns and potentially dangerous weather.
After reviewing the impending weather (significant ice and snow predicted for Saturday afternoon/night and into Sunday morning), we met with our Student Government Advisers and reviewed a myriad options, recognizing the significant decision that would need to be made in the interest of the safety of our students. We know these events are significant milestones in one's high school experience and we want to ensure that our students would have the best opportunity to experience it this year. We also know the great investment that students and their families have made to make this the best experience possible. Most importantly, however, we realize that if even one student was injured in an accident Saturday night, the entire community would be devastated.
As we put our creative minds together and contacted the Tundra Lodge to review our options, by the grace of God, we learned that our DJ and the Tundra Lodge were available tomorrow night (Friday, April 13) to host the dinner and the dance. The weather is predicted to be rain, with no snow or ice predicted.
As we reviewed our options further into the spring, we looked at both our school calendar and other external factors, and we realized the possibility of moving the date to another Saturday would be difficult as the venue will not be available. We looked at other Friday nights, and, due to our own school calendar (De La Baie Fest, spring play, band concerts, exams, athletic contests), it became evident that our own calendar, in conjunction with the Tundra Lodge calendar, would prevent us from finding another Friday or Saturday night this spring to host the event.
Like the other schools, we were faced with the very strong possibility that it would be too dangerous to host the event on Saturday, and cancelling it entirely would mean the lost opportunity for an Academy Ball this year. In our mind, this was something we wanted to prevent at all costs.
As Proverbs 16:9 states, "The human mind plans the way, but the Lord directs the steps." As we reviewed all of our options and prayed about it, we saw God's hand showing us a path to a solution. Therefore, the Academy Ball will not occur on Saturday night and will occur tomorrow evening, April 13 at the Tundra Lodge.
Due to the change in date, we know some plans may be impacted, just like it has for us. We know this is not ideal and we realize this may affect your family's plans (i.e. hair appointments, etc.). If your family has to reschedule appointments that would require your student to miss school at any point tomorrow, please contact our Attendance Secretary at (920) 429-6104 to make arrangements. Missing school for these reasons will not jeopardize your student academically or their ability to attend the Ball. We ask that you do your best to reduce the impact on your student's academic program.
Furthermore, we are working with our Athletic Director, Ms. Steph Mathu, on the athletic contests that are scheduled. If your student is unable to check-in by 7:30 p.m., he/she must make arrangements with Mrs. Laaksonen or Mr. Masarik before leaving school tomorrow. We will accommodate late arrivals if they are pre-arranged.
We are working with the Tundra Lodge on the final cost of Academy Ball due to these changes. At this time, we do not know the specifics. However, in good faith, if it is reasonable to reimburse money that was paid for the April 14 event, we will work to find a solution. However, we will not know that solution until after the event. Please be patient with us as we work through these changes.
As Reinhold Niebuhr wrote in the Serenity Prayer:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.