Parents and Student-Athletes of Notre Dame Academy,
The past few months have definitely been unprecedented times for our country. The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in many challenges in high school sports.
NDA is committed to providing every student an opportunity to be successful as we value education, faith and the extracurricular component of the NDA experience. To prepare for a return of student-athletes, we as a school have had to make some changes that we will need full support of all parents and the students due to these very serious matters.
Changes to note:
- Door 17 (on NDA campus), which is a very fluid entrance in and out of the building for coaches and student-athletes, will be closed down for the summer. Everyone will need to enter the main atrium doors to be temperature checked and answer screening questions. With this, every student-athlete will be required to wear a mask into the building until cleared to participate.
- Typically student-athletes do not need to register for their sports until their season is about to start. We need all students to be signed-up for his/her sport before any summer activities can take place on campus. The online athletic registration now also includes a COVID-19 waiver/release which must be signed. (See links below)
- NDA Athletics has developed a set of guidelines for a "Return of Sports" that will need to be signed by each individual household for each student-athlete. As you read the guidelines, you will notice that we have Phases in which we will operate week to week. Please read and understand each phase as directed by the school administration. (See links below)
I understand there may be frustration with some of these changes. However, in order to be compliant with the WIAA and CDC guidelines, we as the NDA community will have to do our part to eliminate any increase in cases. Our focus is to keep our student-athletes and coaches safe and to provide a safe and healthy environment.
Our tentative timetable to return is as follows:
- Student-athletes will need to report to school 15 minutes before the start of their scheduled workouts. Also, parents/guardians will not be permitted to enter the school building before, during or at the end of workouts.
- July 6 - Student-athletes will be permitted to return to activities.
The first week will operate under Phase 1 (see guidelines). Coaches will be contacting your son/daughter about days and times of activities as we will be limiting the number of student-athletes working out at one time. Also we will be operating in a "pod system" where the same 10 athletes will be together until we move into Phase 2 and 3. This first week will be strictly conditioning and weightlifting workouts.
- July 13 - Conditioning and weightlifting will continue. Open gyms/fields may begin. The determination of "Phase" will be reviewed and reported to the coaches each week. Please be flexible as numbers of participants may increase or decrease week to week.
- July 20 - Conditioning and weightlifting and open gyms/fields will continue. Contact days may begin. All teams are permitted to conduct contact days, which are days of coaching in each sport. Depending upon the sport, there may or may not be actual contact, however, it is a term the WIAA uses for coaching days.
It will be imperative that our coaches and student-athletes follow the guidelines set forth. The timetable above may be adjusted based on medical advice. Wearing masks when directed, washing hands, cleaning areas and keeping social distance will prevent advancement of the virus. If everyone can follow these guidelines and phases, it will better increase our chances of moving to more participation week to week.
NDA Athletics will need full support and following of the guidelines by student-athletes and parents. Any student-athlete who is not compliant with the guidelines (i.e. not wearing a mask when asked, not socially distancing, not washing hands) will be immediately sent home.
Below is a checklist to follow to be prepared for returning to the NDA campus.
1. Online Registration of son/daughter for their sport.
(Found on NDA website under Athletics >> Online Registration)
- Emergency Contact information
- Permission to Treat
- Code of Conduct
- ImPACT Concussion
- Parent-Athlete Eligibility sign off
- Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Liability relating to Coronavirus/COVID-19
Notre Dame Academy